Photography: You Can't Pay For Better Therapy!

Photography: You can't pay for better therapy! Nothing clears a worried mind, heals a broken heart, or frees your thoughts more than picking up a camera. There is beauty all around you, if only you open your eyes to see it.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Some of the Best Things in Life are Free...

It's true.  Some of the greatest things in life are free.  I know, I know...even as I wrote it, I, too, had flashbacks to high school economics.  It goes against what they taught us:  TINSTAAFL.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Yeah, I get it. Someone, somewhere, had to work or pay to make it free. Well, Mr. B., that is a little too technical for me.  In my eyes, some of the best things really are free!   So, this weekend, I decided to fill my days with them.  Camera in hand, armed with my "Short Course in Canon Powershot SX10IS", I headed out to experience, through the lens, two of my favorite free areas of town.  

Let me start by saying, I love historic downtown Wilmington.  I really do.  Even as things change, my heart still stays with it.  Was I bummed out when they turned Front Street into a two-way street, and removed all of the angled street parking?  Yeah, I was.  For one thing, I feared it would lose a part of its character. Second, I'm not very good at parallel parking.  Fortunately, it still maintained it's historical aspect.  It's just changing with the times.  Besides, I would much rather have it modernized, than allowed to turn into a run-down area of the city.

It's sad to see some of the old shops close their doors, but exciting to see the new places coming in.  I swear, each time I am down there, something is new.  Hot Pink Cake Stand.  The Christmas Store (from Southport).  The return of She Thinks Pink.  On Front Street, we have new lighting fixtures and new sidewalks. Parking meters have been replaced with paystations, now accepting pay by phone.  Green street signs are being replaced with shiny blue ones.  Even still, downtown remains one of my favorite places to photograph  (and, by the way, I've since learned how to parallel park).

Yesterday, I spent a few hours downtown.  Read some of the "Short Course" guide, and worked on aperture and shutter speed priority settings.  One thing about me...I can read things over and over again, but to truly grasp it, I need hands-on experience.  Trial and error, I need to see the difference.  The book explains it in a good manner...the smaller the f/stop number, the larger the lens opening.  Okay, I think I got it.  But as I tried to see the difference in the photos that I took, it wasn't that clear.  Well, I could see the difference, but it wasn't the same as the examples in the book.  Some photos, turned out very bright and washed out.  And others, didn't.  It makes sense, since a larger lens opening would, theoretically, allow in more light.  But, it wasn't the results I expected.  The result I thought I would get, is either a sharp background or a blurred background.  Like the examples in the book.  : /  Hmmm...  Well, I've only barely started the chapter on aperture and shutter speed, so I am sure I will get it once I read a little further.  Anyways, I didn't take a ton of photos like I normally do.  (Last spring, I took 400 photos at my niece's sweet sixteen party.  Yes, you read correct...400.  In less than 3 hours...)  Yesterday was more about getting the info from the book, and testing it out in the real world.  And if it hadn't felt like 105 degrees outside, I probably would have stayed out a bit longer...and had something to show for it!  :)

Today, though, I thought I'd head over to the Arboretum, another of my favorite (and FREE) photo spots in Wilmington.  Setting the book aside, I thought I would just wing it...taking photos as I felt inspired.  I picked up a basic tripod at HHGregg on Friday.  I figured, HHGregg is a 'high-end' electronics store (after all, they are located in Mayfaire, and they do carry $500+ Dyson vacuums), so while there, I'll just get some prices.  I had no intention of purchasing.  But when they priced checked a small one, that would extend up to 41 inches, I was surprised at the price.  $29.99.  Wow, really?!  An online friend previously recommended that I save up for a Bogen tripod.  At the time, I googled them and found that they could go upwards of $300, depending on quality.  With a price of $29.99, I felt like I beat the system on this one.  So its not a big name brand, but it would serve its purpose, right??

Well, let me just say...who knew you had to read instructions to set up a tripod!  I couldn't get the legs to lock in place, at the height I wanted them.  It also didn't feel very sturdy at the higher levels.  I tried it out, but, let me tell you, this one WILL be going back.  Just because HHGregg carries it, does not automatically make it a 'quality' product.  I should have remembered, they also sell golf umbrellas for $3.97, and mine broke the first time strong wind came at it the wrong way.  :(  And, as I am aware, you do get what you pay for. 

Anyways, I will post a few pics taken later today.   For now, I am heading to the Loop!

No comments:

Post a Comment