Photography: You Can't Pay For Better Therapy!

Photography: You can't pay for better therapy! Nothing clears a worried mind, heals a broken heart, or frees your thoughts more than picking up a camera. There is beauty all around you, if only you open your eyes to see it.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Butterflies...

Today marks my first day off in 13 days.  Before you start thinking that my employer really sucks, know that I voluntarily signed up for it.  I know what you are thinking.  And yes, I am crazy.   But I am also a girl trying to save up some money for my annual girl's trip (Key West this year), which is less than 6 months away.  :) 

Anyways, aside from spending the last 13 days working, I have also spent that same amount of time fighting off a cold.  A cold that I, at first, thought were mere allergies.  Tissues, my neti pot, hot tea, and meds have been my best friends.  I felt so drained and miserable, that I hadn't been able to keep up with my fitness regimen.  :(  The combination of all of those things has not been very good!  When I am sick, my emotions can really get the best of me.     

In a conversation the other day, someone asked when it would be my turn to have kids.  I told her I wasn't there yet, and they commented for me not to wait too long.  Her comment was intended to be harmless.  I laughed, and smiled.  But inside, I was screaming.  Find me the right guy, and I'll have kids!  Do you think I want to be single in my early 30's???  Trust me, it was not in my plans.  Ask anyone I knew ten years ago...I used to joke that if I wasn't married by the time I was 30, you would find me at an in-vitro clinic on my 30th birthday.  (Of course, I wasn't...I celebrated my birthday in Orlando with my besties- Disneyworld, CityWalk and a birthday scavenger hunt included- and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!)  I've had relationships.   My last one could have turned into marriage (he hinted at it 4 months in), but I wouldn't have been happy.  When I was younger, there were also potential relationships that I didn't pursue, out of fear.  I was always good at hitting the brakes when someone got too close (luckily, I've outgrown most of that).  But, I definitely thought I would be married, and a mom, by now.  Because, there is nothing greater in the world that I want.  But, I have to remind myself, it's not about my plans and my timing, but God's.  And that can be hard to swallow sometimes. 

Anyways, my day off couldn't have come at a better time.  I needed a day to sleep in.  A day to relax.  A day for me to escape through my camera lens.  And fortunately, the rain stayed away long enough for me to visit Airlie Gardens. 

If you haven't been to Airlie, you really should make it a point to go sometime.  It is breathtaking and peaceful.  One of my favorite spots in Airlie is the Tranquility Garden, specifically, its Butterfly House.



I've been planning to go back with my 'good' camera and tripod for awhile now.  Somehow, I had this crazy idea that I could get some great butterfly shots with the help of a tripod.  Well, let me say, easier said than done!  The butterflies were especially active today.  More so than a few weeks ago.  Then again, there weren't children grabbing them this time.  If I were a butterfly, I would have hid that day, too! 

Today, they were fluttering everywhere.  They were even jumping on one another, knocking each other off of their flower (which is exactly what happened in the photo above)...

I did manage to get a few half decent photos...but I definitely need to learn how to adjust the shutter speed and aperture together.  That would really help me capture the moments!




As for my spirits, the trip to Airlie had a positive impact.  It definitely helped me clear my mind, and feel a bit better!  (Oh, and for the record...I have a great time being single.  Most days, I am content with it.  I'm not a sulky person, either.  Like anything else, its just those occasional random thoughts at less than ideal moments that catch you off guard...)

No comments:

Post a Comment